Sunday, July 18, 2010

Thing 22: Facebook and MySpace

My Facebook profile Why should we know how social networking works? Just read this: "In India, a study conducted by job search engine provider CareerBuilder India found that more than seven out of every 10 (73 per cent) employers used social networking sites to research candidates’ backgrounds. Another 15 per cent planned to start using social networking sites for screening." link to article Our students need to know that they are creating a digital footprint that cannot be erased. It is important that they learn how to behave responsibly. The article I linked to above that states that 73% of employers use social networking sites to screen candidates wasn't the only one that said that. That number seems high considering the short amount of time these sites have existed, but when I think about it, I do the same time. I google pretty much anyone I do business with. I do see ways that social networking could be used in an educational way. For example, I know of an AP Macroeconomics teacher who has formed a AP Macroeconomics study page on facebook. For 24 hours before the exam, he and other teachers answers students' macroeconomics questions in real-time.

1 comment:

  1. I think your Facebook link is bad? I couldn't get to it! :(

    ReplyDelete